- Drill a hole with a bit that is slightly smaller than the inserts ½” threading (approximately 7/16”) where you want the insert to be positioned. To ensure you have the proper depth, apply tape to your drill bit at the correct length of your insert.
- Use an appropriately sized Allen wrench or a 5/16” Allen driving tool head on to your drill to install the threaded insert. To prevent possible cracking or splitting of the wood, an Allen wrench is typically recommended for this step
- Attach the threaded insert onto the Allen wrench or drill tool head and position the insert over the hole that you pre drilled.
- Tighten the insert down until the top of the insert is just below the surface of the wood.
- The threaded insert is now secured in the wood and ready for a hanger bolt to be attached.
Watch the video below for a demonstration on installing hanger bolts in order to attach furniture feet!